Sign in to follow this  
Mademoiselle

A change in Workplace

This Monday that went by I left the Organisation I had

been employed with for the past eleven years and have

entered a new work environment that is completely different.

It was an abrupt move but I was offered a higher position ( that doesn't pay much more nevertheless

the working conditions are better) so I accepted. What's good about it is I have

the option to go back to my old workplace if things don't turn out to well for me.

However I think I will stick it out, change is good.

Its been a very stressful week and in addition I have final exams next week.

I decided to take up the position because I had

become complacent at my old Organisation

and wanted to learn something new.

It was not an easy task to just pick up myself and leave a place I have been working for years

and Now I'm expected to just blend in and adjust to a new environment.

I have been feeling disoriented all week and am still getting chest pains.

I consider myself brave because not many people could leave an Organisation

where they are comfortable and just delve into the unknown.

Also I have been getting the 'vibes' from my new co-workers that I

am not welcome there; this of course has nothing to do with me personally

but because of the negative portrayal of the Organisation I came from.

I am reminded again by this new experience of the small mindedness

and pettiness of some people, especially in Trinidad.

We locals love to gossip and talk about each other and

highlight all the negative aspects

of a person. Anyway I will go to my job, do what I'm expected to do,

perform to the best of my ability and let others talk and speculate about me.

I'm getting to old to be bothered by what people think and say of me.

I will continue to work on achieving my goals and

winning the heart of this special guy I have become so fond of.

Thanks again Mr. Administrator for allowing me to vent my feelings.

Thanks. U are right. We humans learn to adapt and adjust to our environment very easily. I should be alright. The office is only women too. Only two men working there. Im in HR. I hope i get used to it. Im so used to and enjoy being around men at my old workplace. I prefer work and be around men. I interact better with men too. Anyway im thankful for this new position and experience and I will learn everything I can from it. You know the old saying 'everything is for a time' so this is just temporary. What about your job experiences Diode. You should share that with us if you dont mind.

A change in the work environment will lend itself to new experiences.

Take the experiences from your first workplace as part of a learning curve and don't allow idle gossip to distract you from your goals.

A brave decision to leave your comfort zone but always remember that life will always be full of challenges.

Best of luck.

willanr

What about your job experiences Diode. You should share that with us if you dont mind.

Sure. My first job was an apprenticeship turned job offer. I worked as a support tech before leaving to pursue my degree. The pay was low but the important thing was getting experience. It wasn't hard for me to leave, but I did fit in well and they wanted to work out a part time arrangement for me. I wondered at the time if I shouldn't have taken it but it was probably for the best.

Later this year will be 9 years at my current workplace. My position has changed twice with company growth and it's been an overall good experience. It will be hard to leave when the time comes because I really click with my colleagues. I think a big part of what makes a job worthwhile is getting along well with the rest of your department - after all, we spend most of the day with them!

I also do other things on the side. It's good to have variety. I like variety.

Planned out? I won't say that. I don't wish to have a "career" in the traditional sense. I just want to be doing things I enjoy that earn me money to fund the other things I enjoy.

Colleagues: Can make the difference between an enjoyable and a toxic work environment.

Quite true. The people we work with contribute to making the work environment healthy or otherwise toxic. Keep in mind most people dont have an opportunity or are in a position to determine whether or not they enjoy their jobs. You are one of the lucky ones. Always be grateful for that. For most people a job is a means to an end so they can take care of their family.

Agreed that for most a job is a means to an end. People have expenses, especially family, and they have to get the money somehow.

That said, (most) people have a choice about whether to stay in the job they are in. Opportunities are everywhere, so while one might need to take whatever job comes along to pay the bills, remaining in that job over many years is a matter of choice. Perhaps a choice made in ignorance, but a choice nonetheless. Even the "lowest" jobs - and I must put that in quotations - have a way out to bigger and better things.

The problem is that we as a society do not provide proper guidance in career paths, wealth generation, and continuous improvement - and I don't mean using GATE to stay in school a few more years. This won't change as long as the education system is geared to produce standard-issue employees...and unfortunately the system is that way by design.

Guest Elle

I just wrote a blog post about this...honestly so it is not self promotion, this is relevant to the topic. Mr. Administrator, allow me to insert and excerpt

Tolerance in the workplace.

Is your office, store, school, workshop underperforming because people can't get along? Doesn't interpersonal conflict affect productivity, quality of service and efficiency in your workplace?

In our homes we may have a some understanding of each others' quirks and sensitivities, in the workplace it is much less so. As such we need an extra dose of tolerance, self control and patience to maintain good relations in the workplace. Nepotism, jealousy, bullying, laziness and gossiping can rob the workplace of good morale. Occasionally there may be co-workers who are dealing with depression, physical abuse, grief and bipolar disorder which causes them to exhibit antisocial behaviour. Often people come into the workplace with a range bad habits and bad attitudes because of how they were brought up. Believe it or not, they just don't know how to do better. So what can you do to improve the morale in your workplace? ....

http://pledgett.org/

Thank you for that Elle! Welcome to the forum and I hope you consider registering your name and sticking around!

You are very correct that people act the way they do for a reason. It's all well and good to say it is the workplace so leave your problems at home, but the fact is we are dealing with human beings. Human beings are not robots whose functions can be toggled on and off as needed.

We expect a particular level of conduct in the workplace but when it falls short, we should try to find the root cause.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this