Sign in to follow this  
Diode

Movies

Ant-Man was pretty good. Overall Marvel has once again churned out a fantastic comic book movie, but I would say that perhaps this one went a little too heavy on trying to be funny. Other than that it was pretty enjoyable!

I'll add there was a cameo appearance from one of the Avengers and there are two post-credit scenes to take in. Well, one mid-credit and one post-credit, to be precise.

Super 8 is somewhat of a favorite movie of mine.

It was released in 2011 and tells the story of a group of kids in the 1970's making a home made movie for a competition - on super 8 film, hence the title. They happen to catch a train crash on film which is followed by the arrival of the army and strange disappearances in their town. It's from J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg; that's a whole lot of talent between those two right there. It also definitely takes some cues from Spielberg's early works E.T. The Extraterrestrial and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

eHC2sew.jpg

Commentary on The Martian has been very positive. I look forward to Matt Damon's performance as a man stranded alone for an extended time...in a way that's like Tom Hanks in Castaway or Will Smith in I Am Legend.

The source material is true hard science fiction in that it's entirely based on real science. Very well researched by the author (Andy Weir). He originally self published it and began posting it chapter by chapter on his website. Eventually he put it as a Kindle ebook by request and it became a top seller there, got published in print and got the movie rights sold.

The Martian was incredibly well done. Absolutely fantastic movie.

You could really see the events of The Martian playing out in a real Mars mission. Except of course for the initial dust storm that sets the events in motion...a real dust storm on Mars would be incredibly weak due to the low atmospheric pressure. Get past that however and this is a true hard-scifi movie.

It's still less than 24 hours since the trailer was released but it's already recorded close to 20 million views on YouTube.

Online ticket sellers have been overloaded...reports are that over $6 million in advance tickets have already been sold.

All expectations are that this will easily join the billion dollar box office club...the big question being whether it can be the first to hit $2 billion.

Whatever it makes, I don't think any other movie will be touching its record for quite some time.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this